Do you support a family member over 18 with an alcohol or drug problem? Turning Point & Eastern Health together with Victoria University would like to invite you to participate in a study that explores the experiences and needs of Family Members, who support an adult friend or family member with a drug or alcohol problem.

Problematic Substance Use is common in people over 18 in Australia and a key family member can be the main giver of support. This in turn can contribute to difficulties for the key family member:

  • Health issues (including high levels of stress; anxiety; depression);
  • Social loss (a disrupted family life; social stigma);
  • Financial loss (may need to work less; put own life on hold to support the affected family member).

Little is known about the impact on key family members.

Turning Point & Eastern Health together with Victoria University wish to know more about your experience of support-giving.This will help better improve services for family members.

we want to know about your experience of support giving

Researchers are looking for;

Key family members who currently are, or have been,

  • In the support-giving role for less than 3 years; and
  • Support an adult (over 18) family member with a drug or alcohol problem. 

As a participant, you will be asked to:

  • Fill out a questionnaire; and possibly participate in an interview (which may take approximately 40 mins to 1 hour), at a time & location convenient to you.

Volunteers will be reimbursed for incidental and/or travel expenses.

Or would like to learn more, please contact:

Dr. Gayelene Boardman Ph: 03 9919 2396

Dr. John Bamberg Ph: 03 9919 2227