'Magic mushrooms can distort colours, sounds, objects and time - but using the wrong ones can also be deadly.

Magic mushrooms are also known as Shrooms, mushies, magics, golden tops, blue meanies or liberty caps.The term ‘Magic mushrooms’ refers to several types of mushrooms that contain a chemical called psilocybin. Psilocybin is a hallucinogen which means it alters your perceptions.  

Mushrooms can be picked fresh, come as dried mushrooms or even a powdered material. Magic mushrooms are eaten fresh, cooked or brewed as tea, or even smoked with tobacco or cannabis.  

Using them gives you distortion of colours, sounds, objects and time. Experiences aren’t always fun or nice and can sometimes be quite frightening. Mushrooms can bring on dreaming sensations, make you feel tired and can cause stomach pains and diarrhoea. Effects usually last between two and six hours.

Using the wrong mushrooms can be fatal. Symptoms of poisoning include stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhoea or unconsciousness. Call an ambulance if anything like this happens to you or someone you know.

If you use magic mushrooms, then if nothing else, make sure you know these ways to be as safe as possible.

If you are worried you may have a problem with mushrooms, check out where you are at with the “working it out with YoDAA” tool.
  • Start with a small dose to minimise chance of poisoning and wait at least 30 minutes before ‘topping up’
  • Where possible, get mushrooms from a reliable source to avoid poisoning
  • Use in a safe, comfortable place in case of a bad trip
  • Plan time to recover post-trip
  • Avoid driving
  • Call an ambulance if poisoning is suspected
  • It is really important to know your mushrooms! The Herald Sun helps identify which mushrooms can be deadly.

Want more? This info is the bare minimum to give you the heads up. The ADF has heaps more info on hallucinogens like mushrooms. Check it out here. We also recommend this video about mushrooms from GlobalDrugSurvey.