Universal Harm Reduction Strategies
These are just a few ways for a young person to stay safe no matter what they are using.
- let someone know if you are not feeling well after using.
- Talk to a young person about having a person to call in case they are feeling worried, paranoid or start to panic.
- call an ambulance if you are worried at any point about themselves or a friend. Remind them that an ambulance will not call the police.
- try a small amount first, wait to see how the drug affects them before taking more.
- never using alone.
- take regular breaks from use to avoid dependency.
- stay hydrated when they are using
- think about the dangers of drinking and using drugs and driving or getting in a car with someone who has been drinking or taking drugs.
- be in a safe and comfortable space.
- make a plan prior to using, get them to plan to only use a certain amount, get them to make a “just in case” plan, and get them to plan how they are going to get home.